This movie was selected by our Patreon Supporters over at the Cinematic Doctrine Patreon. Support as little as $3 a month and have your voice heard!
2021 is over! Well, almost! Tune into this last episode of Cinematic Doctrine for 2021 with the last Patreon Pick of the year! Patreon Supporters didn’t disappoint with their votes, and we’re happy to discuss the Summer Blockbuster Free Guy!
- Melvin and Daniel’s experience with video games, and how their gaming history impacted some of the comedy and atmosphere to Free Guy.
- Free Guy has a decent amount of clever, video-game themed jokes that are clearly written by people who actually play video games.
- It’s great that Free Guy doesn’t take itself too seriously while also flavoring in serious concepts of individuality, the value of the moment, experience, etc.
- Unfortunately, a lot of people reacted to Free Guy in exactly the way Melvin hates; talking about a ridiculous, non-serious film as a means to discuss theology.
- Talking about other alternate-world video game stories.
- The romance subplot was really effective for Melvin.
- …except Daniel notices that the ending of the romance subplot is literally the ending of the short-film Paper Man.
- To Melvin’s chagrin, there’s some light biblical introspection: Does it matter if we’re living in a fake world? Would that revelation change how we move or live through this world?
- For Daniel: Does Guy have value if he’s an AI? Or are how a human treats an AI more indicative of the human’s character than the AI’s value?
- All of the Twitch culture stuff in the movie is really bad and really cringe.
- Where does Free Guy rank among video game movies?
- Steve Gregg – “Revelation: Four Views, Revised & Updated“
- Defunctland (YouTube Channel)
- Steven Hall – “The Raw Shark Texts” and “Maxwell’s Demon“
Free Guy is Rated PG-13 for strong fantasy violence throughout, language and crude/suggestive references. It features Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer, Taika Waititi, Lil Rel Howery, Joe Keery, Utkarsh Ambudkar, and Channing Tatum. Directed by Shawn Levy. Free Guy is currently available on VUDU.
Consider supporting Cinematic Doctrine on Patreon! As a bonus, you’ll gain access to a once-a-month movie poll where you decide a movie we discuss on the podcast, as well as early unedited episodes of the podcast!!
Melvin Benson is the Founder, Editor-In-Chief, and Lead Host of Cinematic Doctrine. He’s written fiction and nonfiction for over a decade with short stories featured on the Creepypasta Wiki and Wattpad. His novelette Ethereal Temptation, a teen drama with a tinge of magical-realism, can be read for free here. His hope is to see King Jesus glorified as far as the east is from the west!