Sonic’s speeding back into theaters, and this time we’re in agreement: Sonic the Hedgehog 2’s kind of great!
- Daniel reflects on how he was in the minority with Sonic the Hedgehog, but that’s old news because Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is pretty good!
- Our theater crowds were 75% kids, 20% adults, and 10% video game nerds and podcasters.
- The comedy in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is more absurd and downright goofy.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 contains some extremely well-done CGI, as well as clearly unfinished sequences where animated characters mouths stutter, or human characters are improperly input into CGI sequences.
- The Sonic video game franchise is celebrated for having some of the best, most creative video game soundtracks, so why are the movie soundtracks so bland?
- Talking about the mid-credits scene and what to expect for the future of Sonic on the big screen!
- The Sonic franchise has countless stories (needlessly well written and interestingly complicated ones) for these movies to draw from, leaving both Melvin & Daniel excited for what future installments may contain.
- Discussing the horrible nightmare that would be a Super Smash Bros. universe of films, and how that’s a terrible, awful, and completely bad idea.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is Rated PG for action, some violence, rude humor, and mild language. It features James Marsden, Jim Carrey, Ben Schwartz, Tika Sumpter, Idris Elba, Lee Majdoub, Shemar Moore, Natasha Rothwell, Adam Pally, and Colleen O’Shaughnessey. Directed by Jeff Fowler. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is currently in theaters.
Consider supporting Cinematic Doctrine on Patreon! As a bonus, you’ll gain access to a once-a-month movie poll where you decide a movie we discuss on the podcast, as well as early unedited episodes of the podcast!!
Melvin Benson is the Founder, Editor-In-Chief, and Lead Host of Cinematic Doctrine. He’s written fiction and nonfiction for over a decade with short stories featured on the Creepypasta Wiki and Wattpad. His novelette Ethereal Temptation, a teen drama with a tinge of magical-realism, can be read for free here. His hope is to see King Jesus glorified as far as the east is from the west!