This TV-show was selected by our Patreon Supporters over at the Cinematic Doctrine Patreon. Support as little as $3 a month and have your voice heard!
Melvin and Dan are joined by Melvin’s sister Shirleon to discuss that successful Netflix horror series Archive 81 that also got canceled despite being a sizable hit. Insane!
- (PATREON EXCLUSIVE) 27-minutes of discussing the Chip n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers movie partially from the crew behind The Lonely Island (PATREON EXCLUSIVE)
- Melvin’s sister Shirleon joins the crew because she’s a real-life archivist! Although, not entirely like Dan Turner.
- Daniel had recommended Archive 81 on a previous episode, but with a major qualifier: He recommended the first 7.5 episodes of the show, with the last 30 minutes being a dud for him.
- Shirleon felt that as the mystery unfolds, the story became less engaging.
- As for Melvin, he mentions a lot of details he loved about Archive 81 and continues naming specifics throughout the episode.
- Archive 81 as a whole package contains a lot of what internet-age horror fans will enjoy.
- Getting specific about why that last episode feels so… incorrect.
- Interestingly, the effect of Archive 81‘s ending is very similar to the ending of Insidious.
- Horror demands limitations. It requires characters overcome massive limitations and therefore writers must be conscientious of ‘power levels’.
- With such highs and unfortunate lows… would we recommend Archive 81?
- Melvin shares a long passionate rant about Netflix’s routine, premature cancelations of its various TV-shows.
- Discussing streaming watching habits, and how they largely don’t include Netflix original television shows.
- Daniel, “I’m gonna say something crazy. Netflix is the Facebook of streaming services.”
- Explaining the long-term marketing issue proposed by the “binging” model.
- Only Murders in the Building (TV-Show / Hulu)
- Land of the Giants (S2): The Netflix Effect (Podcast)
- Pushing Daises (TV-Show / HBOmax)
- Unmatched (Board Game)
Archive 81 is Rated TV-MA. It features Mamoudou Athie, Dina Shihabi, Evan Jonigkeit, Julia Chan, Ariana Neal, Matt McGorry, Martin Donovan, Kate Eastman, Charlie Hudson III, and Kristin Griffith. Created by Rebecca Sonnenshine. Archive 81 is available on Netflix.
Consider supporting Cinematic Doctrine on Patreon! As a bonus, you’ll gain access to a once-a-month movie poll where you decide a movie we discuss on the podcast, as well as early unedited episodes of the podcast!!
Melvin Benson is the Founder, Editor-In-Chief, and Lead Host of Cinematic Doctrine. He’s written fiction and nonfiction for over a decade with short stories featured on the Creepypasta Wiki and Wattpad. His novelette Ethereal Temptation, a teen drama with a tinge of magical-realism, can be read for free here. His hope is to see King Jesus glorified as far as the east is from the west!