Melvin & Dan talk about the latest Predator movie, Prey, that probably should have been in theaters, right?
- Immediate disappointment that Prey was not in theaters.
- Jacob Knight on Letterboxd writes that Predator is at its best when it just embraces its “Pro Wrestling” aesthetic.
- Predator has always been more enjoyable when it’s simple. This is why Predators can feel pretty fun at times, and why Prey feels great all the time.
- Melvin & Dan want to see the Predator dropped into other time periods: pirates, samurai, ancient Greece. All sorts of weird, high concept stuff!
- Amber Midthunder was very pleased to see the depictions of Native Americans in Prey was not hyper spiritual and shamanistic.
- There’s a cultural, current fascination with “simple” movies; movies with high concepts that are easy to explain and easier to understand.
- Dakota Beavers, really the only other character in the movie, who also has no other credits on IMDB, was also pretty great!
- As far as we can tell, all the Native American characters have Native American heritage, which is really great!
- Ranking the Predator movies.
- Blue Letter Bible & NET Bible (Apps)
- Look for Independent Theaters nearby for fun community events!
- 10 Cloverfield Lane (Movie)
Prey is Rated R for strong bloody violence. It features Amber Midthunder, Dakota Beavers, Dane Diliegro, Stormee Kipp, and Michelle Thrush. Directed by Dan Trachtenberg. Prey is available on Hulu.
Consider supporting Cinematic Doctrine on Patreon! As a bonus, you’ll gain access to a once-a-month movie poll where you decide a movie we discuss on the podcast, as well as early unedited episodes of the podcast!!
Melvin Benson is the Founder, Editor-In-Chief, and Lead Host of Cinematic Doctrine. He’s written fiction and nonfiction for over a decade with short stories featured on the Creepypasta Wiki and Wattpad. His novelette Ethereal Temptation, a teen drama with a tinge of magical-realism, can be read for free here. His hope is to see King Jesus glorified as far as the east is from the west!